Accessories are just as much a part of fashion history as specific types of apparel. There are classic, timeless accessories that remain in fashion year after year, as well as trendy items that quickly become popular, then fade as new looks are introduced to the scene. If you want to be knowledgeable about the history of fashion, educate yourself about various types of accessories and how they evolve with changing fashions.
Types of Accessories
While the "look" of popular accessories changes often, the general categories and types of items that people wear to add finishing touches to their attire have been fairly consistent throughout history.
- Jewelry - Fashionable items like necklaces, bracelets, earrings and brooches have long been used to add stylish touches to all types of outfits.
- Footwear - While shoes and boots serve a practical function, they can also be stylish fashion accessories for women, men and children.
- Head wear - Berets and other types of hats are functional and fashionable items, providing warmth while also making a fashion statement.
- Hand coverings -- Gloves are an important fashion accessory, with some styles providing warmth and hand protection while others add elegant style to formal attire.
- Finishing touches - Accessories like belts and buckles as well as neckties and neckwear add critical finishing touches to many outfits.
- Walking aids- Items like canes and walking sticks have long been used, sometimes as an elegant accessory and other times out of medical necessity.
Fashion mavens are well-aware that accessories can make or break an outfit. This simple fact is just as true today as it has been throughout the long history of fashion's evolution.